Friday, April 16, 2010

Options beside college? Please help!?

Im 21 years old and I have been at a community college for about 3 years now and I still only have 30 units of the 60 needed to transfer to a 4 year university. I'm just beginning to wonder if college is really "right" for me. It sounds so fun to transfer to a 4 year university to get that college experience but my parents said they want me to live at home during college and they refuse to help me pay for college if I leave home. On top of that, I can't qualify for financial aid because my parents make too much money. I can't even qualify for scholarships because my GPA is too low. I just wonder what other options there are in life besides the college route. I am tired of living at home and if I went to a 4 year university, that would mean living at home til I am at least 25 years old because I have no way of supporting myself through college. What other options are there? I want to have the college experience but I want to leave home and have a good career in the future as well.

Options beside college? Please help!?
Maybe you need to spend some time working and figure out what you really want. Once you're working pretty steadily, find a roommate and get an apartment. When you're 24, you will be able to get financial aid without your parents' income being considered. By that time, you may have a better idea of what you want and don't want to do. You may want to take an interest inventory. Most college career centers offer them. They're not terribly expensive, because the person who goes over the results with you (usually in a group, but it'll depend on who shows up that day) is usually a grad student training to be a career counselor.





I had a similar experience in college. My parents (my mother mainly) kept trying to control me and I didn't do well in college until I quite school, got a job, and moved out. After a few years I went back to school at night and kept working. While it took a long time, I think that I did better in school by doing it that way. College isn't your only option, but it is an option that you may feel more ready for when you've got more control over it.


No comments:

Post a Comment