Monday, April 12, 2010

College Credit: Community College vs. AP Classes?

I have the possibility of taking various AP classes this year, or taking classes at a local community college. Since a friend of mine goes to a community college on full-time enrollment, I realize these courses are less time consuming (seeing how we spend the same amount of time doing work, although I’m taking four classes, and she’s taking six.)





My main college of interest University of Florida, an instate school, which would not only give me a full ride, but would accept my college courses (I could have a total of 40 hours if I took courses at the community college). The only things that worry me about AP classes are the amount of time I’m in class (7 ½ hours a week in AP vs. 3 hours a week in a community college class) and that AP work seems to give much more work.





It worries me that if I take the community college route, if I change my mind in schools, my credit wouldn’t me transferred. Tell me what you think. :]

College Credit: Community College vs. AP Classes?
Does your community college have dual-enrollment/ concurrent enrollment?





If you want to go straight to U of Florida, you can still take the classes at the community college. I don't think that your credits WON'T be transferred, but you should maybe talk with your high school counselor and community college counselor about your plan.





Also, how sure are you that U of Florida will give you a full ride scholarship?





If you will not have a schedule conflict with your high school classes, I would say take some community college classes and some AP classes. I'm taking 3 AP classes at high school and 2 at my community college. Community college classes are better for me because I'm not sure I would pass the AP exams if I take the AP classes. (I would rather have an A in the community college class b/c it will be seen as college credit, and many universities do not accept AP tests as credit to the GE or major requirements)





The community college classes may seem easy at first, but later on the material may be harder. I think you should have enough time to study for midterms and finals b/c the college professors treat you like college students: you may not have review sheets from professors unlike being high school and you're kind of "on your own".





The main thing is to talk to your counselor about the classes and finding out if the classes you're taking are transferable to the university you want to go to.
Reply:You have the same chance that you won't score well on your AP tests or that the college you attend won't accept them.





Last year I took AP and community college classes. I got 2's and 3's on the AP tests and the colleges I'm applying to don't accept 3's. I also got 9 credit hours that I can use.





It also depend on whether you are paying for the community college classes. Here they are free for high school students doing dul-enrollment.


No comments:

Post a Comment