Monday, May 4, 2009

COLLEGe!!!?

Alright I need some serious help with the whole college thing I'm completly lost. I'm 17, and a juinor in highschool. The thing is though I'm HOMESCHOOLED (if I was in public I'd probably be a sophmore)! I dont have credits and a GPA. My parents would not let me go to a public school my whole life so its been like this since grade 1. I could go now though. How am I supposed to get into college under these circumstances? I've always wanted to go to college, its been the one thing I've always looked foreward to but I didnt realize there were certain things you had to have and do to get into one... how does college work anyway? If you guys could put it into perspective it would be alot of help no ones ever layed out the guidelines for me and like I said... I'm lost. also I want to either be a pediatrician or something along the lines of a physicist for NASA. So if you guys could lay out the guidelines and rules and all that for those specific career paths then that would be even more help

COLLEGe!!!?
I wouldn't worry past your undergraduate college education right now, there's always time to figure things like that out. If you have a career path in mind, my recommendation would be to meet with a career counseler once you are attending a college or education.





As far as the home schooling question goes: most (if not all) colleges and universities have a section of their application to explain special circumstances that would make your application different than other applications. Home schooling is included as a special circumstance. You would still be required to take either the ACT or SAT (depending on what that individual school requires), but you would not need a GPA. I would suggest to call and talk to the admissions office of whatever particular college or university you are looking at in order to get more details and see what else that they require.





Long story short, you CAN do it!





As far as how college works academically, it again varies by institution, and that is another question that you can ask the admissions office once you call them, or once you set up an appointment with them. But very basically, you need a certain amount of credits to graduate, and each class you take is worth a certain amount of credits. Within your overall credit requirement, you will also have more specific requirements, such as general education requirements, requirements for your major, etc.





I hope this helps!
Reply:I don't think it's totally out of the question. Stop by some local colleges and talk to some admissions counselors. Since you have no GPA they will be more dependent on test scores to see if you will be able to do well in a year university.





You can always go for a GED and/or try a couple of years in a community college to prove that you will do well in an advanced educational environment.





Best of luck to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment